[Moin-user] best way for script to update wiki page ?

Thomas Arthur Oehser tom at toms.net
Wed Jan 7 07:27:47 EST 2009

From: Thomas Waldmann <tw-public at gmx.de>

>> I do not know about locking features, you may want to ask them in the
>> IRC / MoinMoinChat.

>There is no locking. It is the same as when multiple people edit the
>same page via the web interface: the one who saves last will get a
>notice about a edit conflict and will have to solve it.

Hmmm...

So, the flow in my utility should be:

1) Detect what the latest revision is, say, 23
1) Read that latest revsion, (say, 23)
2) Process it to generate desired revision, say, 24, in /tmp
3) Try to mv the entry from /tmp to the data pages directory
4) If that fails, then someone else updated it, try again from (1)

Good?

-Thx

On Wed, Jan 07, 2009 at 11:27:50AM +0100, Mail at Heavy.ch wrote:
> Did you already checked out this page (sectionReceiving Mail)?
> http://moinmo.in/HelpOnConfiguration/EmailSupport

I don't want moinmoin to receive mail.

The mail will go Exim => Procmail => Bash => Java or Python.

This process will not be under the webserver or moinmoin control.

The Java or Python would be responsible for reading existing pages
from the data directory, updating them based on fields parsed from
the email, determining authentication and authorization, etc.; it
probably would run under the same user ID that the fastcgi/suexec
is using for moinmoin, though.

My concern is that if someone edits FooBar on the wiki, and while
they are messing with it on the screen, the script opens it and
updates it, that the changes would be overwritten, or that the
interactive edit session would fail.

The desired behaviour is for the Java or Python to detect that
an edit is in process, spawn a sleeper thread, and retry in a
minute or two, until the online edit is completed.

-Thanks, -Tom

--
"Let us do our duty in our shop or our kitchen, the market, the street, the
office, the school, the home, just as faithfully as if we stood in the front