[Moin-user] Upgrading from 1.5.3

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Mon Jan 19 17:43:23 EST 2009

On Mon, 2009-01-19 at 10:40 -0600, Rick Vanderveer wrote:
> "working" means the directory that's the active one, the one that
> would be hit when someone visits your moin wiki.  The one that if you
> edited a page, would have your most recent page.

I was asking about a "working config", not a "working directory".

What exactly is a "working" configuration? Does that mean I have to have
a fully operational install of the new version before I begin upgrading
the old version?

If I do have to have a fully operational install of the new version, I
obviously cannot point it at the old version's directories, so I must
have a new, "empty" install with different directories.

Which means the old version's pages must be being copied from wherever
they are to a new place, i.e., into the the directories configured for
the new version.

Which would mean that I cannot have my wiki files in the same place
after an upgrade.

Except that all of the above sounds wrong, so I don't believe it :-)

Which brings me back to the original question what is a "working
config"?

The upgrade instructions IMHO should not require virtual machines and
extensive "practice" to get right - they should be clear. I'm not a
stupid person, but I have found the upgrade instructions very difficult
to understand, largely because they do not explain in sufficient detail
what the upgrade process actually *does*.

Regards, K.

Karl Auer (kauer at biplane.com.au)                   +61-2-64957160 (h)

GPG fingerprint: 07F3 1DF9 9D45 8BCD 7DD5 00CE 4A44 6A03 F43A 7DEF