[Moin-user] farm support for common webpages

Eric Johnson eric at tibco.com
Wed Jul 22 18:37:39 EDT 2009

Hi Ted,

Ted Stern wrote:
> I have a wiki farm in which I'd like some of the pages to be shared in
> common between all of the individual wikis.
>
> For example, I just enabled supplementation_mode in farmconfig.py, and
> I'd like to have a common DiscussionTemplate page.
>
> The sinorca4moin theme has a quick link bar that shows other wikis in
> the farm.  For themes that don't support that, I would like to share a
> page called "OtherLocalWikis".
>
> My current method of dealing with this is to create the page on one
> wiki, move it to FARM/data/pages/, then symlink that page into the
> data_dir/pages/ directory of all the other wikis.  But this is kind of
> a hack.
>
> I suppose I could just add these pages to the common underlay
> directory, but then I have be careful to port them when I do upgrades.

This is the approach that we take. In practice, what we do is snapshot
the releases of MoinMoin into version control, and then merge that into
our "fork" of the code. Of course, about the only thing in the fork is
the pages in the underlay folder.

That way, every migration is the same, we simply re-merge our overlay
with the official release, and then export from version control. That
way, the version control tool makes sure you get the properly merged
underlay.

-Eric.