[Moin-user] Issue with SSPI auth

Bernd Bartmann bernd.bartmann at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 13:59:11 EDT 2009

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 6:36 PM, Thomas Waldmann wrote:
> Wasn't that documented in docs/CHANGES?
>
> BTW, be warned, for some version after 1.9, you'll have to change that
> to "GivenAuth". Moin 1.9 will still be happy with HTTPAuth due to some
> compatibility code I added, but emit warnings pointing you in the right
> direction.
>
> I changed that because HTTPAuth is simple the wrong name for that thing.
> Auth is done by webserver and moin basically does not even know or care
> whether it is http basic auth or some other of the many auth methods
> supported by some apache module. So the authenticated user is just
> "given" to moin, thus the new name "GivenAuth" (in 1.9).
>
> OTOH, in 1.9, Moin will be able to do http basic auth on its own
> (builtin). Because HTTPAuth will still work for compatibility reasons,
> that one will be named HTTPAuthMoin.

Then I'll be prepared for yet another change :-)

> Well, there are docs. You are sure you have read them?
>
> http://hg.moinmo.in/moin/1.8/file/1da5c7d21660/docs/CHANGES see line
> 197... (and I also updated the help page, btw).
>
> I am sorry that upgrading moin is sometimes a bit hard, esp. if you
> don't carefully read the docs, but all the changes you see are usually
> improvements and cleanups (sometimes that maybe is not obvious, but
> trust me :).

I probably missed that because I skipped 1.8.0. and went from 1.7.x to 1.8.1.
I simply don't have the time do upgrade to every new release, so I
skip some of them.

>From looking at the entry in the CHANGES file it is not very obvious
what exactly has to be changed, i.e.
there is no example of the old and new format. Glad enough I found an
example of the new format under HowTo/Setup Moin with WSGI Apache
HTTPAuth

For future upgrade would it be possible to have a script that parses
your wikiconfig.py and points out possible issues or marks up sections
that need to be touched?

Also, I had a little bit of a hard time to figure out how exactly to
setup the logging stuff. This also seems to need more documentation.
How about putting some (commented out) example code into the default
moin.wsgi file?

Anyway, Thomas, thanks a lot for all your hard work on MoinMoin!

BTW: If you search for moinmoin in Google (at least here in Germany)
you'll always end up with the old moinmoin.wikiwikiweb.de address
instead of moinmo.in.

Best regards,
Bernd.