[Moin-user] Feedback after completing one year

waqas ahmad waqas805 at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 2 05:20:14 EST 2009

Hi to All,
I am administrating moinmoin engine for our company since last year. I collected some information about our wiki in the feedback round in our company.
Wiki Specification:-
Moinmoin_184
Apache Service
Apache/2.2.8 (Win32) mod_ssl/2.2.8 OpenSSL/0.9.8g mod_wsgi/2.3 Python/2.5.2 mod_auth_sspi/1.0.4
Feedback
There are 60 users in our wiki and they can write in wiki. And other near to 100 users, they can only read our wiki. I think the users will increase in the future and it can go 300-users till the end of 2010.
Feedback round was really good, what I got from my wiki users. There are some Issues, which I know that moinmoin is working on those Issues. But I don’t know about the following Issues.
1.       There is big problem for normal user in our company and the problem is “GUI-Editor”. The expert user can also write in Text-Editor (maximum user 10) and others always use GUI-Editor to write the documents. Whenever a user writes a document with the help of “GUI-Editor”, he/she needs support/help from administrators and it takes much time. Maybe for normal three pages (word-pages) need two hours (Off course, it depends on the formatting and diagrams and also depends on occurring the BUGs of GUI). I want to ask from moinmoin team that there is any plan to improve GUI-Editor in the next year.

2.       The second problem is the page with many images. I think that moinmoin team is aware of this problem.
a.       When I have many images (60 pictures) on wiki page. Then wiki page does not load these images at once. Some of those do not appear. Then user should right click on the image and select “show picture”, then it appears. It is not comfortable.  I have tested different version of mod_wsgi but it didn’t help.
Future Plans
We are going to transfer our Intranet site on wiki. Here I have also some questions and I need suggestions from your side.
·         There are lot of material on our intranet site in the form of html. Is there a way to simply import this material in wiki? I think that there is a way with parser (#format html), but I don’t know how professional is it?
·         Other big challenge for me is that how can I import our product documentations in wiki. There are product documentations on intranet site, which are present in two forms; one form is pdf files and other “html pages with search functionality” on Intranet.  I think it is more than 2,000 pages (pdf format).

·         I am realizing that the speed of our wiki page browsing is getting slow day by day. It is due the excess of pages in our wiki or something else?

I want to say thanks to moinmoin supporters and team. They are really good and they helped me always very well in real manners.

Good Luck MoinMoin,
Best Regards,Waqas Ahmad