[Moin-user] How to allow editing only by logged in users?

Rick Vanderveer rick.vanderveer at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 12:52:56 EST 2010

Hey Chris,
What you want to do is leverage a couple Moin features:

 1. First is cosmetic - in your farmconfig.py file, switch your theme to one
of the available *_cms themes.  The point is so that non-logged users are
not seeing all the edit tools on the wiki. Included in Moin is the
modernized_cms, but several of us have also included CMS themes with our
custom ones as well (http://moinmo.in/ThemeMarket), such as FixedLeft and
Moniker, among others.

2. Second step is to set the ACL so that All:read.  That way, even if
they're clever enough to append a page name with ?action=edit, it won't let
them.  Additional reference:  http://moinmo.in/HelpOnAccessControlLists

3. finally, controlling account creation.  What I've done on one of my
wiki's is set the TextCha to something only I know what the answer is.  This
is my "master password", so to speak.  Then, I create the accounts for
people and then add them to an 'edit' group that doesn't require TextCha.
Add this to your farmconfig.py file:
    textchas_disabled_group = u"TrustedGroup"
And then create a TrustedGroup page (remember to also protect this page so
that only you can edit it).
see also:  http://moinmo.in/HelpOnGroups

This is a question that comes up periodically.  I've been meaning to make a
'HowTo' about it for a while now.  I suppose this is a good start, I think
I'll create it now.

-Rick