[Moin-user] Image problems

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Mon Feb 8 16:24:09 EST 2010

I'm beginning to think that putting pictures into a wiki is just not
the done thing!  :-) (or maybe :-( )

I'm trying to use moinmoin (and I have also played with some other
wikis without much more success) to create some narratives of holidays
and other similar sorts of things.  What I want is the ability to
create a stream of text with some pictures interleaved in it.

This is not (at least to start with) for the world to see, it's for me
and other users of the local LAN to look at and use.  It's an
information resource and a place to store and add notes.

So, I have moinmoin up and working on the LAN, I can do all the sorts
of things one expects to be able to do, add pages, edit pages, create
Categories, etc., etc.

***BUT*** putting pictures into pages is a disaster.  The *only* way
that works (sort of) is to actually *copy* the picture from the source
into moinmoin.  Even then (I just tried it) thre result is a bit of a
mess because the picture is too big and it hides the page editing
links so now I can't change the page at all and, as it's just a
picture too big to be displayed, that's a bit of a mess.

OK, if I had a library of little thumbnails, I could use them quite
happily but for actual photos direct from a camera I really don't see
how to use them with moinmoin at all.

(OK, for a narrative maybe a blog is the way to go but I want a
narrative that starts at the beginning and finishes at the end)

... sorry if this is a bit of a rant but I've been trying to find a
solution for my requirements for several weeks now, I've gone from
WordPress to Blosxom to DokuWiki to Moinmoin (all installed here on my
system) and haven't really found a good answer yet.

--
Chris Green