[Moin-user] beginner questions

Thomas Scofield scofield at calvin.edu
Fri Jul 30 16:02:29 EDT 2010

I will soon be helping to administer a moinmoin wiki that has several
levels of access (one public, and then several levels of passworded
access).  Being a novice, I decided to try setting up a moinmoin wiki
on my mac laptop, one which eventually will probably remain as little
more than a PIM, but may also serve as a staging area for wiki pages
that I'll place on a , w(different) server for students in courses I
teach.

I was going to go with a "desktop" wiki, which I was able to get setup
using moinmoin 1.9.3 following the Quickstart instructions, but wasn't
happy with that as it did not come with any built-in help pages or the
like.  I'm sure there is a way to fix that, but I was/am in the the
mode of looking for the easiest set of instructions to get going.
What I happened on next were the instructions at

   http://www.pantz.org/software/moinmoin/setup_moinmoin_wiki.html

which I am trying to adapt to my situation.  The sticking point for
me, I think, seems to be how to set up things so that I can access my
local wiki through a browser.  When I had the desktop wiki set up
before, I accessed it via

    http://localhost:8080

The instructions above provide an example where one adds a moinmoin
unix user/group (I did not, as I will be the only one accessing the
wiki on my local machine, and I placed the wiki files in a directory
within my home space), changing the port to 80 (I didn't do that
either), giving a specific ip address for the interface (again, I did
not), placing two lines in the wikis = [ ] area of farmconfig.py
     ("wiki1",  r"^wiki1.yourserver.org/.*$"),
     ("wiki1",  r"^wiki1/.*$"),
---what I wrote, instead, are these lines

     ("personal", r"^personal.localhost/.*$"),
     ("personal", r"^personal/.*$"),

---and then adding lines
wiki.yourserver.org.             86400   IN      A       192.168.0.245
wiki1                            86400   IN      CNAME   wiki
to /etc/hosts---I, instead, added

     wiki.localhost.             86400   IN      A       192.168.0.245
     personal                    86400   IN      CNAME   wiki

Obviously, I do not know quite what I am doing, and it is not
surprising that, after running the moin.py script, I cannot come up
with url that allows my browser to access this personal wiki.  Can
anyone get me through this?

Also, I expected to be able to search the moin-user archives using a
keyword.  Is that possible?  The archive, which I am getting to via http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?forum_name=moin-user
, has a rather awkward setup in my browser: You have to scroll past
the years/months to get to a list of topics, and all that is repeated
if you click on a topic.

Thanks.

Thomas L. Scofield
Associate Professor