[Moin-user] running wikiserver.py, upgrade from 1.8.4 to 1.9.3

jurriaan at rivierenland.xs4all.nl jurriaan at rivierenland.xs4all.nl
Wed Oct 27 08:09:12 EDT 2010

From: R.Bauer <rb.proj at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 10:59:04AM +0200

> > superuser = u"Jurriaan"
>
> this must be a list, change it to  superuser = [u"Jurriaan", ]
>
> see pre section "Becoming superuser" of LanguageSetup

right. I'm so used to reading [ ] as optional this-or-that, that I
didn't consider entering this literally. Live and learn.

> you need it. Because a lot of users had complained that we have
> installed in the past always all language packs we decided to give the
> decision to the user.
> We deliver only one page now. By this page you can install all other
> pages. http://moinmo.in/FranklinPiat/UnderstandingLanguagePacks gives a
> hint what is in each package listed.

So I'm superuser now. I think there is a reason why this setup won't
work: if I read various files correctly, the wikiserver.py is meant to
run on 127.0.0.1, or at least only to recognize superusers on that IP.

Due to this being a business-environment, I run wikiserver.py on a
server in a cluster, which a policy-enabled internet-explorer that won't
open 127.0.0.1. I access the server from a client. So i fired up links,
a text-only browser, at the server, and logged in. As superuser. I now
see a list of packages I can install. Phew.

I think it would be a good idea to add a warning 'enter this literally'
in the LanguageSetup page. Also, I see now that information about the
DesktopEdition mentions 'local users' - however, I do think a hint that
that means 'only users accessing the desktop edition on 127.0.0.1 can
become superusers' would be nice.

Thanks for helping me out, I'm now going to upgrade production....
Jurriaan