[Moin-user] running wikiserver.py, upgrade from 1.8.4 to 1.9.3

R.Bauer rb.proj at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 06:54:42 EDT 2010

Am 27.10.2010 14:09, schrieb jurriaan at rivierenland.xs4all.nl:
> From: R.Bauer <rb.proj at gmail.com>
> Date: Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 10:59:04AM +0200
>>>
>>> superuser = u"Jurriaan"
>>
>> this must be a list, change it to  superuser = [u"Jurriaan", ]
>>
>> see pre section "Becoming superuser" of LanguageSetup
>
> right. I'm so used to reading [ ] as optional this-or-that, that I
> didn't consider entering this literally. Live and learn.
>
>> you need it. Because a lot of users had complained that we have
>> installed in the past always all language packs we decided to give the
>> decision to the user.
>> We deliver only one page now. By this page you can install all other
>> pages. http://moinmo.in/FranklinPiat/UnderstandingLanguagePacks gives a
>> hint what is in each package listed.
>>
> So I'm superuser now. I think there is a reason why this setup won't
> work: if I read various files correctly, the wikiserver.py is meant to
> run on 127.0.0.1, or at least only to recognize superusers on that IP.

It depends on your wikiconfig.py. You only told that you are using the
standalone server. I assumed you use a similiar to

http://hg.moinmo.in/moin/1.9/file/tip/wikiconfig.py

The DesktopEdition flag works only for localhost. This flag gives any
logged in user superuser privilieges. This wikiconfig is for personal
usage. For this case on localhost nobody needs to be entered into the list.

If you want to use the standalone server as server for many users then
you likly use a config similiar to
http://hg.moinmo.in/moin/1.9/file/tip/wiki/config/wikiconfig.py

HelpOnConfiguration explains all parameters and its defaults.

All config files are python scripts. If the superuser is right
configured then the user given in that list always has superuser
priviledges. May be show us your config in a paste bin then we don't
need to guess what is wrong.

> Due to this being a business-environment, I run wikiserver.py on a
> server in a cluster, which a policy-enabled internet-explorer that won't
> open 127.0.0.1.

You should use a real server for business. apache with mod_wsgi is nice.

 I access the server from a client. So i fired up links,
> a text-only browser, at the server, and logged in. As superuser. I now
> see a list of packages I can install. Phew.

Then you may be have not used blanks for indenting. The var superuser
needs 4 blanks indenting.

> I think it would be a good idea to add a warning 'enter this literally'
> in the LanguageSetup page. Also, I see now that information about the
> DesktopEdition mentions 'local users' - however, I do think a hint that
> that means 'only users accessing the desktop edition on 127.0.0.1 can
> become superusers' would be nice.

Well that is wrong. Any in the list becomes superuser. It depends on
parameters of the wikiconfig if you need the var or not.

> Thanks for helping me out, I'm now going to upgrade production....

You may want to use irc and talk on #moin at chat.freenode.net, for a
webclient see http://moinmo.in/MoinMoinChat

cheers
Reimar