[Moin-user] Caching generated content from a parser

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Sat Dec 3 06:33:59 EST 2011

On 3 December 2011 03:07, Thomas Waldmann <tw-public at gmx.de> wrote:
>>At the moment, I generate the key using self.raw (the raw data from
>> the formatter) but that means that every time the data changes, a new
>> cache entry is created and the old one is never removed.
>
> Well, if one needs to reclaim the disk space, one could just kill all
> the caches. Caches should not be authoritative, so they will rebuild
> then automatically.
>
> Although this is not super-clean, it is maybe much simpler than
> implementing some complex thing to manage this. Especially considering
> that moin2 might be very different then.

Good point. The only (remaining) issue is that I don't think I can
easily locate all the cached values relating to my formatter.
Rethinking this, I might go with the attachment approach as suggested
by Paul Boddie. Or maybe just stop worrying about it for now and see
if it's actually a real problem.

The one thing I *would* like to know, though, is whether there is a
way for a formatter to obtain a unique identifier for the region it's
responsible for (page ID plus occurrence ID, something like that).
Having that would mean I could write fairly naive code without falling
into the trap of having something that fails when there are 2
occurrences on the same page.

>> PS I have a feeling all of this would be much easier in Moin 2, with
>> its mimetype items, but I get the feeling that Moin 2 is still a
>> reasonable way away from being ready for production use, so I think I
>> have to stick with 1.9 for this :-(
>
> Yes, if you need it in production mode quickly, use 1.9.
> See also the hints about that on the MoinMoin2.0 wiki page.

It looks great - is "maybe end of 2011" still "not totally
unrealistic"? If it's that close, then I might be tempted to have a
play with it even if it's not something I can use in production yet...

Paul.