[Moin-user] Support/Maintenance status of misc. moin releases

Thomas Waldmann tw-public at gmx.de
Wed Jan 26 08:47:30 EST 2011

What I write below is how it looks like from perspective of MoinMoin
development. If you use some Linux distribution's moin package, the
distributor(!) is MAYBE giving you different support.

Everything < 1.8.x is completely outdated and unmaintained. There won't
be ANY changes / fixes to these versions, but we'll help you to upgrade
to newer versions, see http://moinmo.in/Support .

1.8.x series is mostly end-of-life, there might be 1 more fix release in
case something very bad happens (like a critical security issue), but it
mostly exists to give people an easy upgrade within 1.8.x until they had
enough time to go to WSGI based serving and moin 1.9.x. So, if you can't
go right to 1.9.x and WSGI now, make sure you have at least an easy
upgrade to the latest 1.8.x release (which is 1.8.8 currently) and
prepare going to 1.9.x SOON.

1.9.x series will be updated with fixes for a longer time, while we work
on finishing moin 2.0. We'll try to have moin2 in a usable state before
moin 1.9.9. :) MoinMoin 1.9 won't get any major new features, though,
because porting them to moin2 is non-trivial and lots of work, so we
rather work on getting moin2 ready for production.

2.0 (aka moin2) is not ready for production yet. If you like to hack
python code, find and fix bugs, etc. you're welcome to help making it
ready for release (hopefully later this year).

moin2 is very different from moin 1.x, much cleaner, much more fun
hacking it. :)