[Moin-user] desktop edition mac windows dropbox

R.Bauer rb.proj at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 02:21:34 EDT 2011

Am 22.07.2011 00:51, schrieb Chris Seidel:
> I see. However, I'm not always on the network. This is why I like the
> Dropbox idea. Dropbox(.com) allows you to create a folder on your
> computer that is shared by all your computers (regardless of system
> type). If you happen to go away from the network and work on the files
> in that folder, the moment you float back into the network the folder
> synchronizes among all computers. So your data is always with you, and
> always synchronized.
>
> Perhaps I can rephrase my question using a similar concept: if you
> wanted to create a desktop wiki on a flash drive, is it possible to use
> that wiki regardless of machine type?

You have to call moin ... maint cleancache to invalidate machine
dependent cache files before you start moin on a different platform or
different python version same platform.

Sometimes I use http://www.portablepython.com/ to show the same wiki on
a windows system and on a linux. Because you don't need python installed
beforehand on windows this makes it easy to demonstrate the wiki.

> For example, I work with Windows machines, Macintosh machines, linux
> machines. I often go away from the network. I want to plug the flash
> drive into any of the machines, launch the wiki (using whatever python
> is on that machine), and write some pages. Is this possible? If it is
> possible, then it should be possible to replace the flash drive concept
> with a Dropbox folder (thus bringing the luxury of the network).
>
> My experience so far is that it is not currently possible. I can install
> separate desktop wikis for each platform on a flash drive, launch (by
> platform) and use them to write pages. But if I configure them to use a
> common directory for the 'data' and 'underlay' directories (using the
> instance_dir variable as directed in wikiconfig.py), it works for the
> first machine to touch that directory structure, but when a second
> machine tries to touch the structure later, the server process crashes.
> Thus I was wondering if it is possible for a windows machine, and a
> Macintosh machine to (non-simultaneously) share the data directory. If
> the pages are just text files, it should be possible. But I'm having no
> luck. (I understand they can't share the other directories, because
> otherwise the python would get recompiled every time I plugged the flash
> drive into a different platform).

I am pretty sure that this crash happens because of the incompatible
python cache files of pages, links, name2id etc. But you don't showed
the traceback. So I suggest for now to call moin ... maint cleancache to
invalidate platform, python version dependent cachefiles.

cheers
Reimar