[Moin-user] WikiBooks and Quiz Software: General Discussion

Neal Holtz nholtz at cee.carleton.ca
Sun Jul 24 09:38:20 EDT 2011

Hi Ivan

On July 24, 2011 04:33:34 AM you wrote:
> Hello Neal,
>
> > [wiki for books with math and quiz]
>
> Your project is very interesting to me. Where can I get updates of it? A Twitter account maybe?

Well, I've just got the smallest possible start, right now.  Perhaps it'll
firm up a little this week, then I'll post a URL or something ...

> For MoinMoin there are latex-plugins, and RST as default syntax works good.
> Why don't you like RST-syntax?

Haven't tried the LaTeX plugins yet, but as for RST - I've no really compelling reasons
for preferring wiki markup, and perhaps as the project gets larger, rst will show
more of its advantages.  But ...
  - I was pretty used to wiki markup, knew my way around it a bit and am learning
    rst now for this.  rst is different, so its a bit frustrating at first ...
  - the first thing I ran into, after about the first 10 minutes, was what I
    consider a *really* dumb decision in rst regarding headings.  If you
    have only 1 top level page heading in a document it gets promoted up
    to a document title.  If you have 2 or more, it doesn't.  So if you add
    a new section to a page, the heading structure changes.  I eventually
    found the options that turn that off, and tweaked the moin rst parser
    to work 'properly', but it was a bad start to learning rst, making me
    less tolerant of other differences ...
  - minor aesthetics, such as:  I would rather type a link as [[http://www....|follow me]]
    rather than
         `follow me`__

          __  http://www....

I've got my 3-page site in both formats and haven't yet made a final decision ...

> You could however probably spare time if you hack your own system. I, for my personal on-line notes,
> hacked a script in Python that generates webpages and pdfs (not finished) out of RST files, see for
> instance this page (specially the formulas within it): http://ogai.name/uned/programacion_II/
>
> Note that the math is not ugly graphics like MediaWiki does, but scalable formulas. Increase the
> font size to see how the formula also increase (you might need to just install some fonts). I
> describe everything here: http://ogai.name/software/gridcms/

I'll look at gridcms more seriously -- thanks for the pointer.

In my initial trials, I tried MathJax rather than jsMath - again no really compelling
reason (though I like that fact that you don't have to install fonts).  It
seems to work pretty smoothly so far, but I would be interested if anyone
has comments regarding MathJax vs jsMath.

neal

--
Neal Holtz                             http://cee.carleton.ca/~nholtz
Dept. of Civil and Environmental Engineering,   Carleton University,
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1S 5B6.               nholtz at cee.carleton.ca
Public Key:  http://holtz3.cee.carleton.ca/~nholtz/pubkey.asc
Office-Hours: http://holtz3.cee.carleton.ca/~nholtz/office-hours.html
Free-Busy: http://holtz3.cee.carleton.ca/~nholtz/free-busy.cgi