[Moin-user] Running an old version of MoinMoin

Eric Johnson eric at tibco.com
Wed Mar 2 11:50:47 EST 2011

Hi Doug,

What do you mean by help? Give you guidance on what to look out for?
Suggest a particular approach?

In any case, the hardest part of the migration comes from getting you to
a 1.6 version of your data.

http://moinmo.in/HowTo/Migrate%20from%201.5%20to%201.6

The reason this is particularly hard is that MoinMoin changed syntax, so
every page gets touched in the migration. Do you want to migrate all the
history of all the pages, or just the current latest copy? I did a patch
on my local copy of MoinMoin that migrated the entire history of pages
to the 1.6 syntax, rather than just the latest version.

Also with the 1.6 version, MoinMoin changed its treatment of spaces vs.
underscores. You have a one-time opportunity to rename pages with "_" in
their names to use spaces instead. For the server I manage, we chose not
to do this.

Are you using extensions/plugins/macros in the current setup? If so,
migration will be considerably harder. If you're not, it should be much
easier.

I ended up scripting the migration from 1.5.X to 1.6, so that I could
run it any number of times. That way, I could see the results, decide
whether I liked them, and if not, figure out what went wrong, and do it
again.

Upgrades since the 1.6 release have been straightforward, at least
through the 1.8 series, where I've stopped for the moment.