[Moin-user] Very slow page saving caused by notifications

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Mon Apr 23 12:11:16 EDT 2012

On Monday 23 April 2012 15:11:47 Steve McIntyre wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 02:27:16PM +0200, Thomas Waldmann wrote:
>
> >caching
> >=======
> >sometimes stuff can be accelerated by adding a cache. but if you have a
> >cache, you always have to make sure it is consistent with the real data.
> >
> >i had a quick look at the subscribed users caching patch and I suspect
> >that might not be the case there.
>
> Hmmm. It seems to work fine for me in testing, but it's possible that
> testing hasn't exercised all paths yet. Any suggestions on where to
> check?

I had the impression that the cache was updated when a user saves their
profile but not when the user subscribes or unsubscribes using the
appropriate action, but I may have missed something.

Paul

P.S. My note about Xapian (that Thomas responded to) was more about general
content indexing, of which caching can be regarded as something of a special
case, than Xapian specifically - it just happens to be the only serious Moin
1.x option in this area beyond the built-in Moin functionality - although
there certainly are a lot of applications of caching once you start looking
for them.