[Moin-user] Spam - very bad news

Kai Jaeger kai at aplteam.com
Wed Mar 14 03:37:21 EDT 2012

I am entertaining a sandbox wiki for test purposes:

http://sandbox.aplwiki.com

When spammer discovered it I had to introduce text captchas. That
solved the problem. Until recently.

I am now getting large piles of spam into the wiki. It's certainly
done by robots because every night the sandbox is set back, so a human
would realize that the effort is for nothing.

Also, the text inserted into the wiki does not make any sense. It
seems to be rubbish, randomly generated. There are not even links. I
don't understand the business logic.

That means that robots somehow managed to get over the captchas, and
that is really bad news. I wonder whether others suffer from similar
problems.

Kai

P.S.: an example:

to me
Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Sandbox" for
change notification.

The "HelpOnEditing/SubPages/ThirdLevel" page has been changed by <unknown>:
http://sandbox.aplwiki.com/HelpOnEditing/SubPages/ThirdLevel?action=diff&rev1=4&rev2=5

Comment:
Kristy   thanks for the play by play. It's lnceleext information and
I'm going to take a closer look at our meta tags and keywords to be
sure I'm getting maximum exposure. As always, you are a trusted

- Yeah, I sort of get it, reduce spam.At the memont I'm seeing red
because between Google Reader, WordPress and Tweetmeme, I'm being
squeezed into delivering content in ways that make no sense for the
value I add.I may stop using Tweetmeme.  I'm not sure how it works,
but if I can't figure out how to stop it from using a title of it's
choosing rather than my choosing, it's just a no go.  My choice of
title isn't alway what I want to publish with.  In fact, my first
choice of title is often really crappy.So I end up with a crappy,
possibly non-converting title running around the web.  How could that
possibly be useful?  My issues with Google Reader aren't relevant
here, other than how it handles titles is getting in my way.
+ Kristy   thanks for the play by play. It's lnceleext information and
I'm going to take a closer look at our meta tags and keywords to be
sure I'm getting maximum exposure. As always, you are a trusted expert
and resource.
 ----
 CategoryCategory