[Moin-user] An alternative to GetVal or InterWiki?

Reimar Bauer rb.proj at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 5 01:31:47 EDT 2012

Am 03.10.2012 21:34, schrieb Ted Stern:
> On 03 Oct 2012 00:04:07 -0700, Reimar Bauer wrote:
>>
>> Am 02.10.2012 22:15, schrieb Ted Stern:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> One of my users would like to set up a sort of shortcut for use on one
>>> of the wikis in my farm.
>>>
>>> He want's something similar to @VAR@ syntax, but not expanded when the
>>> page is saved.  He intends to use it for very long URLs.  So I suppose
>>> the <<GetVal(WikiDict,VAL)>> syntax would be appropriate, but it
>>> doesn't work inside [[...]] braces.
>>>
>>> If I modify our local InterWiki, he can do
>>>
>>>   [[VAR:rest/of/path]]
>>>
>>> to create links, but then the InterWiki becomes littered with these
>>> links.  Since I share the same InterWiki between farms, that could be
>>> problematic also.
>>>
>>> Is there anything set up in MoinMoin to do this?
>>>
>>> Ted
>>>
>> Have you thought on using the InterWikiMap page for creating all those
>> shortcuts for theses urls?
>
> If you read my message, double-quoted above, you will see that I
> already have thought of that.  I will discuss it further below.
>

>> It is a page per wiki.
>
> Yes, I'm aware of that.
>>
>> I don't understand why he want @VAR@ not expanded, he could define
>> in his own Homepage/MyDict a var for each url like
>
> I understand that he can do Homepage/MyDict.
>
> 1) We don't want to expand it because the location may change over
>    time, and when the variable is expanded, the association between
>    variable and its value is lost.
>
> 2) We don't want to put the variable into a user's MyDict because the
>    same location will be used by many users on a wiki, and it is
>    wasteful to have the same information in several places
>    (e.g. multiple MyDict pages).  It is a bit of the same
>    decentralization problem from 1
>

>>  URL1:: [[http://moinmo.in|MoinMoin]]
>
> Thank you, I was not aware of the possibility of using the [[...]]
> syntax in intermap.txt.
>

>> and use then on a page @URL1@ will be replaced by this substitute.
>>
>> for an example see  http://moinmo.in/ReimarBauer/MyDict?action=raw
>>
>> Reimar
>
> 3) the reason I don't want to put the variables for a single wiki into
> intermap.txt is that I share the same intermap.txt file with all the
> wikis in my farm, and it would not be appropriate for users in other
> wikis to be able to access the variables set for the users in one
> particular wiki.

Hi

just wanted to point out that there is a difference between the file
intermap.txt and the wiki page InterWikiMap. You can have both at the
same time. And you can have additional definitions on the wiki page.

I am not sure if that is known.

All the other parts I read later again after some coffee.

Reimar