[Moin-user] MoinMoin version number not updating in footer

Thomas Waldmann tw-public at gmx.de
Thu Sep 6 11:26:24 EDT 2012

> first of all, thanks for that great wiki software.

:)

> I just updated two wikis on two different servers from 1.9.3 to 1.9.4.
>
> With "show_version = True"

BTW, you can also just visit SystemInfo page (if you installed it).

> one server is correctly showing "MoinMoin Release 1.9.4" in the page
> footer. The other keeps showing "MoinMoin Release 1.9.3", altough I definetly used
> moin-1.9.4.tar.gz. Also /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/MoinMoin/version.py shows the correct version.

Maybe there is some other moin installation at some other place in
sys.path. Or you have old *.pyc files (just guessing, not sure if it
would use them if there are newer *.py files).

> I'm using moin.cgi with Apache. /usr/bin/env python returns Python 2.6.6. There are no old libraries
> installed anywhere.
>
> I also tried to remove /usr/share/moin and /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/MoinMoin thus
> reinstalling all core parts of moinmoin, but still no change. I use the standard modern theme, so
> this is definetly not an issue of a hardcoded version number.
>
> Any hints on what could be wrong?

Well, I would look into the server adaptor script (moin.cgi maybe in
your case, but better double check in your apache configuration / URL).

Often there are some sys.path.insert() statements that setup the python
search path. Just look into those directories, whether there is some
MoinMoin/ subdirectory there.

Also check whether it is really using python 2.6 for cgi (see the first
line of the script). Maybe you also have some newer or older python on
your system and it is using that (and the site-packages directory
there).

BTW, after solving that issue, maybe try to migrate to mod-wsgi (and
moin.wsgi). It is relatively easy, much faster and using less disk I/O.

WSGI is nowadays the standard way to run python web stuff.