[Moin-user] Moin performance desastrous

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Fri Dec 13 08:21:28 EST 2013

On Friday 13. December 2013 13.39.14 Thomas Waldmann wrote:

> > Looking into the ACCESS log nothing obvious caught my eye. The ERROR log
> > is much more interesting. There are thousands of entries like this:
> >
> > WARNING MoinMoin.util.filesys:110
> > mkdir(('...\\\\data\\\\cache\\\\aplwiki\\\\pagegroups\\\\__lock__\\\\writ
> > e_lock',), {}) -> access denied. retrying...
>
> Windows?
>
> > What is going on here?! Advice is welcome.
>
> If you can find out what exactly is causing the "access denied" I worked
> around there, I'ld be glad to hear from you (I couldn't).
>
> Only happens on Windows AFAIK.

Virus checking software or similar "helpful" Windows-only phenomena? Various
projects recommend excluding their directories from such software's coverage
tables so that the "helpful" process that wants to "scan" files all the time
doesn't happen to have a file open (and thus on Windows, exclusively locked)
when the project's software needs to open it.

Maybe this is something different, though, but it's something for the
troubleshooting checklist whenever Windows is involved.

Paul