[Moin-user] Cracked...advice sought on how to proceed

Desmond Rivet desmond.rivet at gmail.com
Sun Jun 16 13:09:36 EDT 2013

Hi all,

I'm running a personal MoinMoin wiki.  I've recently discovered that I've
been cracked.  I'm finding lots of entries in the data/pages directory that
look like:

zupeginwuxi397/edit-log
6pm_Offer_Coupon_Codes/edit-log

All the edit-log files (that I've checked) appear to be empty.  The file
also appears to be the only contents of these bogus pages/directories.  As
I said, I have a ton of these in my data/pages folder.  And it's been going
on for a while, judging by the backup I've looked at.

I'm not sure how it happened or what the intent was.  I'm not sure what
exactly has been compromised.  Can I just change my login password and get
a better SSL certificate? (I always logged in via https, but maybe the
certificate was compromised).

That being said, all is not lost. It's fairly easy for me to pick out my
own pages from the mess - looking for folders that have a "revisions"
subfolder seems to do the trick.

So I'm seeking some advice on how to proceed.  Can I simply rm -rf the
bogus directories from the file system?  If I do this, will I have to
update some other cache file?

Should I re-install MoinMoin?  If I do, is there a way to re-import all my
original pages into the new wiki (assuming I pulled out all the pages from
my old wiki) ?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Desmond