[Moin-user] [Student] Want to start contributing to moinmoin

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Mon Nov 4 10:10:20 EST 2013

On Monday 4. November 2013 15.46.11 Yesha Shah wrote:

> I am a computer engineering student. I know Python and I would like to
> start contributing to moinmoin. Can you please suggest how can I get
> started? It would be good if you suggest me some sites to read. I did check
> 2 some bugs in the buglist. But then I was at a dead end about how to solve
> them as I don't have complete knowledge about moinmoin.

I imagine that you're a MoinMoin user already, so perhaps one way of getting
into development is to identify a need you have and then see how you might
address that need with an extension like a macro, action or parser.

One fairly easy starting point would be to develop a macro, just to gain
confidence with how these things are written and deployed, and how they
interact with the rest of the code. See the following page for some guidance:

https://moinmo.in/MoinDev/CreatingMacros

Once you get a macro working and see how it changes the output of a page, you
will probably be able to write actions and parsers fairly easily, too. After
that, you'll probably be giving us advice about Moin development. ;-)

Hope this helps!

Paul