[Moin-user] givenauth login

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Sat Nov 23 14:20:18 EST 2013

On Saturday 23. November 2013 19.21.51 r2d2 wrote:

> I installed moinmoin1.9.7 to one of my SL6.4 boxes. For authentication I
> want to use the apache web login. Apache login works, but moinmoin
> doesn't seem to get the REMOTE_USER.
> http://moinmo.in/HelpOnAuthentication

Assuming that you've added the GivenAuth instance to the auth setting, the
usual reason for not getting anything in REMOTE_USER is that Apache is somehow
letting you access the site without invoking the authentication machinery. Are
you being prompted for a password? Is your site entirely protected by
authentication directives?

> Any hints on how to fix this? Otherwise I would like to turn on loglevel
> debug, but I do not know how.

Moin logging is something I rarely use and need to look up every time, but you
should be able to dig up a suitable config file in the MoinMoin distribution
and then make sure that it gets loaded by moin.cgi or moin.wsgi. See the
comments in those scripts for more details.

Paul