[Moin-user] GSoC 2015 aspirant: Validation of Wiki Contents

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Mon Mar 2 13:02:40 EST 2015

On Monday 2. March 2015 18.08.56 Karan Dev wrote:
> Hi Developers,
>
> I am final year computer science engineering student from UPTU. I want to
> contribute to the organization by becoming a part of GSoC 2015. I know
> C/C++, Python, Javascript.
> I went through project ideas of Mailman and found "Validation of Wiki
> Contents" interesting. Please guide me for the next step.

I see that you're also interested in Mailman, but given that Mailman now uses
MoinMoin, we should only see that as being a good thing. ;-)

I'm not involved in GSoC, but I would recommend the following things to become
familiar with Moin development...

Clone the Moin repositories. I'm guessing that the focus is on Moin 2.0, but
the "Wiki Contents" appears to refer to the official MoinMoin Wiki (or maybe
it doesn't - clarification needed!). So, having some familiarity with the Moin
1.9 code might be useful. See: https://moinmo.in/MoinMoinDownload

Install Moin on your own computer and play around with it. This is easier if
you've cloned the repositories because you can change the code and see the
effects immediately, all within a controlled environment.

With some experience with Moin content, you can now start to think about the
actual GSoC task. The topic seems a bit vague to me, but having been playing
with wiki content myself recently (for Mailman, in fact), it's possible to get
a feel for the task by looking at how Moin stores its content, what kind of
API it provides to access it, and you might get some ideas about extending
these things.

Anyway, I'll leave it to the mentors to give you some proper advice. :-)

Paul