[Moin-user] MoinMoin Development Activity

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Thu Feb 4 18:32:31 EST 2016

Hello,

I guess this isn't the most effective place to ask this question, but I
suppose it reaches an audience who might also be wondering the same thing.
What is the current situation around MoinMoin development, with respect to
Moin 1.9 (which is noted as being the current production version) as well as
with Moin 2.0 (which still seems to be in a rather fluid state)?

I was indeed trying to follow what has been going on with Moin 2.0, finding
that the repository hadn't been updated for months, until I discovered that
only the Bitbucket-hosted repository seems to be updated these days. I have
had some vague intentions to port some extensions to Moin 2.0, but it appears
that there are lots of packages I have to get from the Python Package Index
(or whatever it is called these days), and my perception is that porting those
extensions hasn't become any easier since I last looked. What is the current
situation there?

As for Moin 1.9, I have quite a few patches that never made it upstream, and
I've just spent a couple of hours looking at them again. Some of them can be
found here:

https://moinmo.in/PaulBoddie

(Things like https://moinmo.in/FeatureRequests/EnhancedDiffsForRecentChanges
are so useful that it just annoys me now when I visit a Moin site and have to
look at individual diffs from a sequence of edits, or have to play with
controls in the "info" page, when I can instead view the before-after diff
from a RecentChanges link with that patch.)

Is there any interest in such patches or any other development for Moin 1.9. A
while ago, I wondered if a Moin 1.10 would be helpful, but my impression was
that this would be counterproductive and undermine Moin 2.0. So what should we
be doing about this?

With the current fashion of people migrating their own hosted applications to
dubious cloud providers with their own awful wiki implementations, I think
that more could be done to demonstrate that Moin is both viable and
preferable. Things like antispam protection could be usefully enhanced: this
is probably one of the biggest problems (and most credible arguments to
migrate away from Moin) that a bit of effort could meaningfully address.

What are other people's thoughts on such matters?

Paul