[Moin-user] Wiki server ignoring ACLs *followup*

Chris Freemesser cfreemesser at mail.cvs.rochester.edu
Fri Mar 11 14:11:57 EST 2016

On 3/10/16 12:38 PM, Paul Boddie wrote:

> Now, if I understand, what you want to do is to have is administration and
> editing access set in the before rule. For example:
>
> acl_rights_before = u"WikiAdministrator:read,write,delete,revert,admin " \
>                      u"WikiGroup:read,write,delete,revert"
>
> And then you want unidentified users only being able to read pages:
>
> acl_rights_default = u"All:read"
>
> And on pages where such users shouldn't even be able to read the page, you
> would put this:
>
> #acl All:
>
> Or you might even put something else that doesn't even mention "All" or
> "Default".
>
> This seems to work when I test it in a Moin 1.9.7 wiki that I have to hand,
> but I can't see any differences between that and 1.9.8.

First, thanks very much for taking the time to do the testing and reply...I
greatly appreciate it!  These ACLs are making my head spin.  ;)

What you've mentioned above could be a workaround for the issues I'm
experiencing, though I do have to give the WikiGroup admin rights so they can
create new pages.  I tried this out and it seems to be working.

However, the workaround does not allow me to disable WikiGroup's access to a
page.  For example, I don't allow them editing rights to the WikiGroup page
itself, but with this workaround, I can't take away the rights.  Adding a #acl
line to the page with instructions to remove their access does nothing.

So, it looks like I need to ultimately get the acl problem solved so it works
as designed.  As soon as I can find the time I'm going to set up a 2nd server
from scratch using the same TurnKey Linux MoinMoin distribution to see if this
problem exists out-of-the-box.  If it does, then it's an issue with the
distribution, and not a problem with my wiki instances.  I'll do my best to
provide updates on my progress.

Thanks again!

Chris

Chris Freemesser, Systems Administrator
University of Rochester
Department of Brain and Cognitive Sciences
The Center for Visual Science
Meliora Hall, Room 255
Phone:  (585)275-0786