[moin-user] Can't install package: "Unhandled Exception"

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Sat Jun 24 15:38:53 EDT 2017

On Saturday 24. June 2017 20.09.28 Volker Wysk wrote:

> I'm trying to upload my wiki pages via the package installer. I've written
> a program, which creates packages from source files. This worked
> relatively well. But now, when I upload the .zip, and click on "install" I
> get:
>
> "Unhandled Exception - An unhandled exception was thrown by the
> application."
>
> I've found no moin logfiles in /var/log.
>
> This is a bug. And no chance to find out, what's going wrong, isn't it?

I guess so! But I should have been clearer about the way I install packages.
Instead of going through the workflow on the HelpOnPackageInstaller page
(upload file, click on "install"), I tend to use the command line tool, which
is also mentioned on that page.

So, given a pages.zip file, I run the following command:

python MoinMoin/packages.py i pages.zip URL_PATH

Here, URL_PATH corresponds to the published location of the wiki on the host.

For me, this almost always works, where failure is usually something to do
with the permissions. In fact, I'm using a tool that I wrote to administer
Moin instances, but the actual command issued is ultimately the same.

You might need to set PYTHONPATH to include the location of the MoinMoin
package and also the location of the wikiconfig.py file. Otherwise, the
program won't find what it needs and will just fail straight away.

As for the logging, you might want to look first at the general error log for
your Web server. I'd have to remind myself about Moin's logging configuration
if I were to provide any insight on this, anyway. ;-)

Paul