[moin-user] MoinMoin very slow

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Thu Nov 2 13:54:48 EDT 2017

On Thursday 2. November 2017 18.43.43 Volker Wysk wrote:

> What else, and how else should be checked for problems with the hard
> drive...?
>
> I've bought that hard drive at the end of 2015. I don't think, it should
> fail so soon.

Hard drives can fail within a year if they are faulty. I had this kind of
experience with a Western Digital Caviar Green drive a few years back
(separate from the pathological head parking behaviour that wasn't advertised
by the manufacturer because the Windows driver code was dealing with it, but
where everyone else was on their own). Fortunately, the failure was relatively
graceful.

Try smartctl to see what the drive controller thinks:

sudo smartctl --all /dev/sda

Here, /dev/sda is the SATA device of interest. Use lsblk to see details of
devices.

Certainly, Chris is right in that hard disk failure can cause all sorts of bad
blocking behaviour, although I'm not sure whether it would leave processes
running at 100% CPU.

Paul