[moin-user] Bug report: two consecutive lists

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Mon Sep 24 18:23:19 EDT 2018

On Monday 24. September 2018 23.55.33 Volker Wysk wrote:

> Yeah, that's right. Building parsers is notoriously difficult.  (But try
> Prolog! ;-) )

Prolog was part of my education, and there are some things that practically
demand its use (or something like it), but I won't say that it wasn't/isn't
frustrating in its own way, too.

> So, you agree that it's a bug, but it's hard to fix - right?

I think it is a bug, but I didn't write the code or envisage the current
output as being correct, so my opinion isn't as important as those who did.
Still, it probably involves changing some regular expressions to terminate
lists when encountering different "markers".

I can't remember whether Moin's parser tries to match entire lists at once,
only individual items at once, or whether it starts a list and then looks for
something that terminates it. The details will be in
MoinMoin/parser/text_moin_wiki.py or something like that.

And then some regression tests are required to guard against breaking other
things, which is pretty important as well. Writing tests to establish
behaviour can be quite challenging, too.

Paul