[moin-user] export to html

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Sat Jan 11 11:35:41 EST 2020

On Friday 10. January 2020 11.50.31 mariusz sapinski wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I run a standalone wiki (moin 1.9.9) and I have just moved it to another
> ubuntu computer. All looks fine except that the command:
>
> moin --config-dir=/home/me/wiki/config --wiki-url=localhost:8080/Machines/
> export dump --page=HEST --target-dir=/home/me/HEST/html
>
> gives now this error:

[...]

>   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/MoinMoin/script/export/dump.py",
> line 100, in _attachment
>     script.log('Writing "%s" attachment "%s"...' % (pagename, filename))
> UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc3 in position 6:
> ordinal not in range(128)
>
>   There seems to be nothing wrong on the page where the script stops. Do
> you have any suggestions - what should I look at?

Although the error occurs when dumping an attachment, it appears that the
error actually occurs when writing to the activity log (which is probably just
output to the screen).

I would guess here that the pagename is Unicode and cannot be converted to a
string, which might be demanded when the text is written to the screen.

What locale settings are you using? If you have LC_CTYPE as something like
"en_GB.ASCII" then it is quite easy to get such errors when attempting to
output Unicode.

Paul

P.S. Another year begins with a reminder that I should perhaps get round to
releasing my Moin parser and serialiser tools that dump wiki content in a
slightly more reliable way than "moin export dump"...