[NeedForSpeed] Arrival in Reykjavik

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Sat May 20 07:49:51 CEST 2006

Martin Blais wrote:
> Thanks Steve, you rock, this is great! :-)
>
> On 5/19/06, Steve Holden <steve at holdenweb.com> wrote:
>
>> When you arrive in Keflavik, after collecting your baggage and clearing
>> customs, please look for someone holding a card with your name on it.

Well, it's nice of you to say so, but without EWT's support I would just
be Mr. Python Community, mouthing platitudes at people who were happy to
pick up a free ride from someone with larger pockets than I. So please
direct your thanks to David Salomon, EWT principal and CEO, whose vision
created this event, and his co-founder Vincent Viola.

David was originally planning to attend the sprint, but had to change
his plans due to some of his many other commitments. I hope that at some
future stage he will be able to support similar events in person, as I
know his dedication to finding the appropriate partnership between the
open source community and the commercial world will ultimately pay huge
dividends to both sides of the equation.

We do at least have a video conference session on Tuesday or Wednesday
to look forward to, where I hope we will hear David's opinions on how
the open source community and the commercial world can usefully and
profitably co-exist. We will also have the opportunity to contribute our
own visions as to how we can best make this happen, and the most
practical outcome from this week is to make sure Python 2.5 runs faster
for everyone than it otherwise would.

I hope all delegates will feel free to express their gratitude to both
David (whose vision is larger than this single event) and EWT (to whom
expressions of gratitude have so far been limited to my own utterances),
for their huge investment in the sprint.

Whatever mistakes may have been made in the organization of this sprint
have been mine alone, and good people have been upset by my
shortcomings. Chalk up the successes to EWT, David and Vinnie Viola.

Now let's go ahead and prove that we can make Python rock as much as you
seem to think *I* do.

Thanks, David. I'll miss your guiding hand this week in Iceland.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119
Love me, love my blog  http://holdenweb.blogspot.com