[Neuroimaging] FA images Was: Nipy.org new website needs a complete remake

Gael Varoquaux gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org
Mon Aug 3 19:14:24 CEST 2015

-1 on flask: it's twisting something that not been built for this
purpose.

My votes in order of preference (note that my opinion doesn't matter
much, as I won't be doing the work):

* sphinx: every package of the nipy constellation already uses it
* pelican: I have a great experience with it (using purecss that's much
  lighter than bootstrap, check my personnal website out)
* jekyll: seems reasonnably easy to use, but will require most people to
  learn a new development ecosystem
* flask: great project to serve dynamic websites, but not designed for
  static.

Gael

On Mon, Aug 03, 2015 at 06:38:05AM -0700, vanessa sochat wrote:
> My .02 on flask:

> The extra step is "freezing." The workflow to push an update will always be
> something along the lines of:

> - checkout or clone current flask site
> - do changes
> - freeze
> - push to gh-pages

> This seems do-able to me, but I sense that others aren't happy about the extra
> step, and I am open to the idea that other frameworks could do it better,
> perhaps at the cost of the more "interactive" back end allowed by flask. At the
> end of the day, it doesn't really matter so much as long as updating / adding
> content is relatively straight forward and pain free. Looking forward to more
> discussion on this.

> On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 6:33 AM, vanessa sochat <vsochat at stanford.edu> wrote:

>     This week we should perhaps vote/decide on a final framework to port the
>     nipy site into? I'm open to giving a go at whatever the group thinks is
>     best :)

>     On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 6:11 AM, Ariel Rokem <arokem at gmail.com> wrote:

>         On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 8:38 PM, David Moreno-Dominguez <
>         d.mor.dom at gmail.com> wrote:

>             Doesnt Dipy already do this? (be open source and compute FA images
>             [and much more] from any dwi dataset)

>         Absolutely - I was being ironic.

>         But I will admit that irony doesn't travel well by email.
>

>             On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 8:06 PM, Ariel Rokem <arokem at gmail.com>
>             wrote:

>             > On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 10:44 AM, Gael Varoquaux
>             > <gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org> wrote:

>             >> On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 08:56:08AM -0700, Ariel Rokem wrote:
>             >> >     PS: Vanessa: Nilearn is not only for fMRI. It's for
>             statistical
>             >> > analysis
>             >> >     of images. It is also used for anatomical images:
>             >> >     http://nilearn.github.io/auto_examples/decoding/
>             plot_oasis_vbm.html
>             >> >     If we could get a preprocessed, openly downloadable set of
>             images of
>             >> > eg
>             >> >     FA, we would do an example with diffusion too.

>             >> > Completely off-topic, but I can't resist: if only there was an
>             >> > open-source project that computed FA images from freely
>             available
>             >> > diffusion MRI data-sets!

>             >> Well, you're welcome to help us with preprocessing and pitching
>             >> relevant prediction problem from this data. I know nothing about
>             >> diffusion and nothing about the datasets you are talking about.
>             In my
>             >> experience, writing a relevant example requires understanding
>             the data
>             >> and the questions. If you, or someone else, gets us to the point
>             where
>             >> there is a set of nifti images of FA with condition A and
>             condition B,
>             >> and helps us write the story, than we have an example.

> [...]

    Gael Varoquaux
    Researcher, INRIA Parietal
    NeuroSpin/CEA Saclay , Bat 145, 91191 Gif-sur-Yvette France
    Phone:  ++ 33-1-69-08-79-68
    http://gael-varoquaux.info            http://twitter.com/GaelVaroquaux