[Neuroimaging] Reading Dicom files with nibabel

François Rousseau francois.rousseau at telecom-bretagne.eu
Mon Aug 3 19:55:53 CEST 2015

Hi everyone,

I’d like to read dicom files using nibabel but I don’t understand what is possible to do with it. In the documentation, it says at pydicom is used as a backend and that there is very limited support for DICOM.

So far, I use dcm2nii to convert dicom file to nifti files, but it could nice to do this conversion in python. Is it possible using nibabel?
If not, which tool do you recommend so far? pydicom?
What is the roadmap of nibabel with respect to dicom files? Do you plan to improve support for DICOM or to use instead other packages?

Thank you
François