[Neuroimaging] Website Update

vanessa sochat vsochat at stanford.edu
Mon Aug 17 16:02:34 CEST 2015

Getting the packages to render dynamically in multiple places from data
objects and the design itself, whether we are in flask, jekyll, or
something else, is non-trivial, however we must first focus on our
implementation strategy - namely that it satisfies:

   - preview via continuous integration
   - easy development workflow
   - deployment to github pages

With the current, we are close, and the issue at hand is rendering paths on
pages that are not at the root. I had originally created a design with core
pages in subfolders as "index.html" (having "nipy.org/blog/index.html seems
to be the only way to achieve a url like "nipy.org/blog"), however this ran
into this formatting issue. I had several ideas:

   - *using special templates for subfolders:* was my first go, but
   generating everything in two seemed redundant and annoying to need to
   update both things. That said, it would work, and I could possibly
   consolidate elements of the main design into one layout, and then just vary
   the includes depending on the level of the page.
   - *Ideal: *would be liquid syntax, a statement that can detect if we are
   in a subdirectory. I had a pretty simple solution
   <https://github.com/vsoch/nipy-jekyll/commit/2ac70c6dee2372be6676848aac9766459f4c57c2#diff-218971ba81da1d7752f7a6e5d6e87789R23>
   that would work for a small set of pages, but of course ran into trouble
   with the blog subpages. For this reason I moved the main pages back to the
   root.
   - *Build custom script: *A solution I thought of this morning would be
   to get the baseurl working for local development and jekyll deployment, and
   then write a quick script to be run after build to find and fix whatever
   absolute paths would break when being rendered on circle. That would go
   after this
   <https://github.com/vsoch/nipy-jekyll/blob/master/circle.yml#L15>.

Looking forward to getting input on this! There are definitely solutions,
and I'm hoping someone might have an idea to satisfy the second bullet.
Don't worry about details of the design for now, the infrastructure is what
must be figured out.

On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 4:56 AM, Alexandre ABRAHAM <
abraham.alexandre at gmail.com> wrote:

> Those are the snakey thoughts!
>>

> Oh, OK.
>

>> It's just a fun detail - when you mouse over they correspond to the
>> packages, and you can click on them, and the graphic is produced
>> dynamically from the data.
>>

> Yes, I've seen that. But I guess that ball sizes and colors are random?
> Something like a wordcloud seems more useful to me.
>

>> Do you see the snake logo?
>>

> BTW, the rendering is weird on a big screen: the balls are really far from
> the snake.
>

>> On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 2:23 AM, Alexandre ABRAHAM <
>> abraham.alexandre at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Vanessa,
>>>
>>> This looks good, maybe a little dry, but good. However, I don't get the
>>> small balls at the top right, what do they represent?
>>>
>>> Alex.

>> --
>> Vanessa Villamia Sochat
>> Stanford University