[Neuroimaging] Site Discussion

Ariel Rokem arokem at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 19:44:34 CEST 2015

Hi all,

Sorry for checking out on the technical discussions. It's been a busy
couple of weeks!

I did not particularly mind the appearance of the old site. I was more
concerned with the content.

In particular, quoting myself from back in May (archives of that list for
that time-frame are apparently lost forever...):

"It doesn't really represent the current state of affairs, and is s source
of confusion for the unwary beginner.

One proposal, that I would be happy to lead (if no one is really aching to
do it themselves...) was to create a community portal on that page, where a
large number of projects in this space could be represented through a
(semi-) rational organization. Something with a front page that tells the
beginner that there are many paths through this particular garden, and
guides them along to what they need."

The drash:

- "large number of projects" precludes any particular project from
appearing on the front page. I don't mind (and indeed have put) a link to
the nipy github organization. See message here:
https://mail.python.org/pipermail/neuroimaging/2015-July/000186.html

- "(semi-) rational" means that the projects are organized in a directory
in a way that someone just entering the field can easily browse.

- "guides them along" would mean that we would want to add content on a
more-or-less regular basis with some tutorials, links to events, rants,
etc.

I don't mind if we use sphinx, or pelican (or anything else), but I did
choose jekyll because of its perceived advantages on the github platform
(see discussion here:
https://mail.python.org/pipermail/neuroimaging/2015-July/000174.html). I am
always happy to be proven wrong for my choices, and for others to show me
the way to the light.

Cheers,

Ariel