[Neuroimaging] Site Discussion

Ariel Rokem arokem at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 21:38:19 CEST 2015

Whoops:

On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 12:16 PM, Ariel Rokem <arokem at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Eleftherios,
>
> On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 11:52 AM, Eleftherios Garyfallidis <
> garyfallidis at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Vanessa,
>>
>> I think we need to setup a hangout to discuss about this. Before we move
>> forward with more coding.
>> Figuring out the content will make designing the website much easier.
>>
>> By the way thank you for all the hard work. It's really inspiring.
>>
>> One important issue is what the portal will be about. And that is not
>> currently clear.
>>
>> If the purpose is only to provide links to the other websites then we can
>> just use the technology that
>> we already have using sphinx and/or bootstrap/css or pelican.
>>
>> If the purpose is to make something that is really dynamic and people can
>> add comments on the fly
>> I think we really need something like django.
>>
>> But anyway. Can all the interested parties meet and discuss these
>> following important issues:
>>
>> a) What the portal is about? We need to reach consensus. This is
>> currently vague.
>>

> See above: "...to create a community portal on that page, where a large
> number of projects in this space could be represented through a (semi-)
> rational organization. Something with a front page that tells the beginner
> that there are many paths through this particular garden, and guides them
> along to what they need"
>

>> b) Which projects are currently under the neuroimaging in python
>> umbrella? Projects that do not share the
>> same vision should not be promoted. I think. But maybe others think
>> differently. I would like to hear the
>> opinions on that.
>>

> I think this vision should be inclusive. See more below for clarification.
>

>> c) How the website and e-mail lists/forums will benefit and promote the
>> work and the vision of this organization.
>>
>> d) Make some decisions on the technologies that we can use to support a,
>> b, c.
>>
>> Maybe points b and c are not clear. So here are some clarifications.
>>
>> (b) is critical because for example I saw that you added in the website
>> projects which are not currently under our
>> github organization https://github.com/nipy. I think we need consensus
>> to take such a decisions.
>>

> Yes - I think that a "neuroimaging in python"  website should definitely
> include projects that are under that particular github organization. See
> also response to (a) above and "many paths".

Meant to say: "... website should definitely include projects that are
*not* under that particular github organization" (e.g. nilearn, etc.). I
carefully wrote a statement of principles, so that we can look at a project
and get a rough estimate whether it fits in or not (not based on whether it
is under some specific github org): http://nipy.org/code-of-conduct/

For example, if a project is not released under a permissive open-source
license ("open" and "collaborative"), it probably doesn't belong there.