[Neuroimaging] Site Discussion

Eleftherios Garyfallidis garyfallidis at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 21:42:56 CEST 2015

Hi Ariel,

>> a) What the portal is about? We need to reach consensus. This is
>> currently vague.
>>

> See above: "...to create a community portal on that page, where a large
> number of projects in this space could be represented through a (semi-)
> rational organization. Something with a front page that tells the beginner
> that there are many paths through this particular garden, and guides them
> along to what they need"

Okay this answer here is very vague. Can you list the projects that you
think that they have to be highlighted in the portal?

> b) Which projects are currently under the neuroimaging in python umbrella?
>> Projects that do not share the
>> same vision should not be promoted. I think. But maybe others think
>> differently. I would like to hear the
>> opinions on that.
>>

> I think this vision should be inclusive. See more below for clarification.
>

>> c) How the website and e-mail lists/forums will benefit and promote the
>> work and the vision of this organization.
>>
>> d) Make some decisions on the technologies that we can use to support a,
>> b, c.
>>
>> Maybe points b and c are not clear. So here are some clarifications.
>>
>> (b) is critical because for example I saw that you added in the website
>> projects which are not currently under our
>> github organization https://github.com/nipy. I think we need consensus
>> to take such a decisions.
>>

> Yes - I think that a "neuroimaging in python"  website should definitely
> include projects that are under that particular github organization. See
> also response to (a) above and "many paths".
>

>> Wait this is not clear. See above.

> (c) is also much related to Matthew's e-mail for supporting or not
>> Neurostars for answering questions about the NIPY
>> projects. This information and whatever we decide must be highlighted
>> clearly in the portal.
>>
>> My feeling is that we really need such a meeting and that the discussion
>> in the e-mail list was not that helpful.
>>

> -1 to a meeting on this. Those take too much time, don't typically lead to
> decision making by consensus, and don't leave any trace, so don't
> facilitate consistent follow up. I strongly feel that a public email forum
> like this is exactly the right place to discuss these things. How would you
> feel if you discovered that the website was changed in some way that you
> don't like in a meeting that you hadn't attended? Actually, we already know
> how you feel about that... ;D

I disagree. We very rarely have any hangouts/meetings for the projects. I
personally don't like to have many meetings but for some things I would
like to have a few. Especially the lead developers from the different
projects should have some meetings to discuss issues of the organization.
For example the last hangout where it was decided to split the nipy library
to different smaller libraries had to happen. And it was quick and helpful.

Cheers,
Eleftherios