[Neuroimaging] When to use neurostars, and when not to

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 12:50:20 CEST 2015

Hi Chris,

On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 11:43 AM, Chris Filo Gorgolewski
<krzysztof.gorgolewski at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> My 3 cents: Matthew, Bertrand - I would encourage you to give neurostars a
> try. It really helps building the community and makes questions more
> discoverable. There are some rough edges, but nothing we cannot work around.

But my assertion (of course possibly false) is that the problems I'm
talking about are structural to the approved answer format.   Do you
think that's possible?

> Just remind yourselves how often do you find solutions to technical issue on
> stackoverflow or similar services and then imagine that such knowledge
> would've been hidden on some mailing lists with poor google indexing.

I do often find answers on StackOverflow, but often on mailing lists -
as far as I can see, google indexing has been pretty good in guiding
me to the right answer on a mailing list.   StackOverflow is the place
often end up if I want to fix a compilation error and I don't much
care why the error happened, but I don't think that's a good model for
the nipy projects.

See you,

Matthew