[Neuroimaging] Should we prefer nii.gz or nii?

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 22:52:33 CEST 2015

On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 1:48 PM, Chris Filo Gorgolewski
<krzysztof.gorgolewski at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 3:59 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> http://nipy.org/nibabel/images_and_memory.html#saving-time-and-memory
>

> Interesting - does this work equally well for .nii as well as .nii.gz?

Actually, if you do something like slicing sequential volumes out of a
data file, then this won't be well optimized unless you load the file
via gzip file object rather than a file name, otherwise the code has
to load the gz and seek through it multiple times.   We didn't yet get
round to making a nice iterator out of the slicing, which would be
pretty trivial to do.

Cheers,

Matthew