[Neuroimaging] Homebrew Python for Dipy on Mac? (Was: Mac OSX 10.6.8 problem)

Ariel Rokem arokem at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 11:59:47 EST 2015

Hi,

On Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 4:27 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 12:18 AM, C.P. Rockel <rockelcp at mcmaster.ca>
> wrote:
> > Ok, that didn't seem to quite work either.  It seems like there is a
> crazy
> > amount of errors, which I can send you if that would help.  I uninstalled
> > XCode beforehand, btw.
> >
> > Would I need to re-install Anaconda now that the Kenneth Reitz compiler
> is
> > in place, perhaps?
>
> Another option is to install Python via Python.org installers or homebrew,
> then:

Interesting. Homebrew + pip might actually be a good way to install Dipy +
dependencies on OS X, because it seems that homebrew can also be used to
install VTK:

https://github.com/nipy/dipy/pull/739#issuecomment-152006600

But there are a few wrinkles. For example, tcl-tk needs to be installed
separately, and a flag needs to be passed to the Python installation, for
tkinter to to work (we use tkinter in some of the newer viz stuff). VTK
also needs to be installed separately, through its own incantation.

Here are some instructions that seem to work on my machine:

1. Install homebrew from http://brew.sh/
2. brew install homebrew/dupes/tcl-tk
3. brew install python --with-tcl-tk
4. brew install vtk --with-python
5. sudo pip install scipy dipy

Maybe we can somehow test this out on the Travis Mac machines, or on the
buildbots? If this does generally work well, we can also change the
installation instructions in our docs.

Cheers,

Ariel