[Neuroimaging] Nibabel API change - always read as float

Ben Cipollini bcipolli at ucsd.edu
Mon Jul 6 18:56:35 CEST 2015

How about accepting a dtype parameter, with None meaning using the type
determined from load (i.e. current behavior)? This makes it easy to
document the 'arbitrary' behavior for the user (in explaining the
parameter), to convert to whatever datatype you want (if you know your data
or have particular needs like Alex). I also believe this is closer to a
numpy semantic, to_float is a new semantic (even if relatively simple).

As for what the default should be (None or float32 or float64)... I would
not touch that conversation quite yet :)