[Neuroimaging] Nibabel API change - always read as float

Alexandre ABRAHAM abraham.alexandre at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 23:25:22 CEST 2015

> I don't find this behavior to be particularly logical. I guess
> there is a reason the default is 'float'.

For example, if the first column is an index, casting it to float makes no
sense.

> Because it is a nice clean file format they control entirely.

Yes. So they could have casted all data to float if they wanted to, but
they didn't.

>   I clearly acknowledged that in the next paragraph (which you trimmed),
> and you don't address the fact that is almost always obvious from
> context if the file is a mask/label. It isn't always obvious if an image
> file is going to be float or not.

Well the context is also obvious when you load MRI data, just cast it to
float in all cases. And no, it's not simple to pass a dtype when loading a
mask. If an image is contains float values between 0 and 2, casting it to
int will round the values to 0 and 1, ie a valid mask. But clearly, the
file loaded was not meant to be used as a mask in the first place.

Alex.