[Neuroimaging] Nibabel API change - always read as float

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 13:33:26 CEST 2015

On Mon, Jul 20, 2015 at 11:46 AM, Alexis Roche <alexis.roche at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Matthew,
>
> I think that, if the data is int on disk with scale factors are (0,1), then
> the intended dtype is more likely to be int than float - in the sense that
> there is no obvious reason for casting the data to float, but it's more
> efficient to keep it as int.

Put another way - I can see there is a argument that int is the
best-guess at the intended dtype here - although I don't think that
argument is correct.

However, to me it seems clear that this is a guess in the face of ambiguity and:

"In the face of ambiguity, refuse the temptation to guess."

Matthew