[Neuroimaging] [Nipy-devel] [dipy] PIESNO

Samuel St-Jean stjeansam at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 17:31:42 CEST 2015

Well, it actually depends on your own scanner. Actually, the Siemens
scanner in Sherbrooke is using a 12 channel head coils array, but in the
way is it operated, it is the same as a 4 channel head coils array,
hence we use N=4.

This is because Siemens reconstruction algorithm (GRAPPA) yields a
noncentral chi distribution of the noise due to the algorithm working in
fourier space, as opposed to Philips and GE which are using a
reconstruction in the image space (SENSE), which yields Rician
distributed noise (and hence N=1 in this case).

The parameter N is really related to the algorithm used by the
reconstruction (and it depends on the number of coils of the receptor
antenna), less than the grappa/sense factor itself. Problems is, you
kind of need to know your scanner to use it. Some people [1,2] are using
maximum likelihood estimation form the background to get N, but I have
not tried it myself. See [3] if you want to know more about the various
reconstruction algorithm and the noise distribution they yield.

Samuel

-------------------------

[1] Varadarajan, D., Haldar, J., 2015. A Majorize-Minimize Framework for
Rician and Non-Central Chi MR Images. IEEE Trans. Med. Imaging 0062,
1–1. doi:10.1109/TMI.2015.2427157

[2] Aja-Fernández, S., Vegas-Sánchez-Ferrero, G., Tristán-Vega, A.,
2014. Noise estimation in parallel MRI: GRAPPA and SENSE. Magn. Reson.
Imaging 32, 281–90. doi:10.1016/j.mri.2013.12.001

[3] Dietrich, O., Raya, J.G., Reeder, S.B., Ingrisch, M., Reiser, M.F.,
Schoenberg, S.O., 2008. Influence of multichannel combination, parallel
imaging and other reconstruction techniques on MRI noise
characteristics. Magn. Reson. Imaging 26, 754–62.
doi:10.1016/j.mri.2008.02.001