[Neuroimaging] Nipy.org new website needs a complete remake

Eleftherios Garyfallidis garyfallidis at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 03:57:57 CEST 2015

Hi,

On Sun, Jul 26, 2015 at 7:12 PM, Ariel Rokem <arokem at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The message with the link to the new version of the website went to the
> mailing list on May 18th. The redirection wasn't changed for another 3
> weeks or so. There wasn't anything but positive indications from the list,
> and no reason to think that anyone had any reservations about the new
> format until 2 days ago.

Yeah, sorry for being late to look at this. But as you said "better late
than never".

>>> I am sure that a bit of logic could be used to put in several different
>>> attractive images of brain data from which one would be chosen randomly
>>> every time you land on the page.
>>>
>>> Yes, you can put a carousel in the website and remove that background
>> with many images. You should also remove the mission with the form it is
>> now. It doesn't communicate.
>>

> I don't know what you are referring to. "Mission"? Are you talking about
> https://github.com/nipy/nipy.github.com/pull/1? That was mentioned in a
> message asking for feedback on the mailing list on May 22nd. Did you get
> any of these messages? Is all this a misunderstanding because the mailing
> list was starting to be a bit flaky at that point? I think that others got
> these messages, considering that a few people did have comments on this PR,
> before it was eventually merged a couple of weeks later.
>
> No, I mean that in the main page (nipy.org) you have  4 columns under the
jumbotron that say "cleary written, clearly explained etc." which we use as
mission statements. I think as it is now it would be difficult for someone
to understand were those texts refer to.

>>> As I said in my previous e-mail this website can be created using
>> Pelican too or with Sphinx and Bootstrap and it will be more pythonic.
>> About option 2. Jetkyll can be good looking because of bootstrap. We have
>> exactly the same good looks with Sphinx or Pelican. By the way also Pelican
>> supports both markdown and rst.
>>
>> What it seems as advantage is 1. but in practice it is not a big
>> advantage because even if people submit their markdown scripts the website
>> will be updated only when those are merged and still you will need someone
>> checking if they render correctly. I prefer if people who submit content
>> check the final website first in their machine before updating the final
>> website.
>>
> We can still use Jekyll only for the portal but the websites of the rest
>> of the projects will have to use sphinx anyway. So, why bother introducing
>> new tech.
>>

> That's roughly analogous to comparing local test runs to Travis. Another
> case in which additional technology is adopted because it removes barriers
> to collaboration and productivity. Definitely worth it in the case of
> testing/Travis. I think it's worth it here as well.

No, I think this is very different. Except it is something that I don't
understand right now. If jekyll doesn't allow you to preview the markdown
before making a PR then you are still blind on knowing how well the
markdown will render. Why don't we spend some time to look at the
alternatives e.g. Pelican etc.? I am confident that it will not need much
time to make the switch and that they will not be any disadvantages. But
hey I may be wrong. At least this is my understanding.

>> So, my final suggestion is to use Pelican for the portal which supports
>> everything that Jekyll supports and works in github fine. And for the other
>> websites e.g. dipy, nibabel etc. use sphinx with the same or similar theme
>> used in the portal but with some alternations to create a unique look for
>> each project.
>>
>> Some immediate actions:
>> a) For now I think you should at least add this information
>> http://nipy.org/project-directory/ to the first page and explain what is
>> your vision of this portal.
>>

> That's the link in the middle of the front page. Or am I missing
> something? Do you want me to move the entire project directory to the front
> page? That wouldn't look great, I think (but I think we've already
> established that I am not a web designer...).

No but I think it is nice to have the links of the individual projects in
the front page so that it is easier to find them. And a message explaining
what is NIPY. I think NIPY from now on will be mostly a term used for the
organization as the library will not be further developed.

>> b) Definitely change this background picture maybe add a neuro-related
>> picture. You don't need to wait for others to do that. You can do that by
>> yourself too. I am sure you have many cool pictures around.
>>

> Vanessa offered help earlier in this thread, so maybe she has an image she
> likes? :-)

Thank you Vanessa :)

>> c) Then let's set a meeting together and with other people who want to
>> help and I can show you how Pelican/Bootstrap work so you can then see the
>> benefits by yourself. Don't worry nothing from the content that you added
>> in nipy.org is going to be lost. All these markdowns can also be used
>> with Pelican.
>>
>> I will be available after Wednesday to help you with this.
>>
>> Let me know if you and Vanessa are interested about this.

Keep it up!
Cheers,
Eleftherios

Cheers,