[Neuroimaging] Nipy.org new website needs a complete remake

vanessa sochat vsochat at stanford.edu
Mon Jul 27 17:57:30 CEST 2015

Yes, of course! The current design generates the navigation and pages
dynamically from this file:

https://github.com/vsoch/nipy/blob/master/code/static/projects.tsv

If there is nothing added beyond that, a standard template page is used for
the package's page:

https://github.com/vsoch/nipy/blob/master/code/templates/project.html

but for custom stuffs, the user can add a template page with the same name
as the markdown_tag variable, for example, here is nipype:

https://github.com/vsoch/nipy/blob/master/code/templates/nipype.html

And of course the front page content will be generated in this fashion as
well.

On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 8:53 AM, Ariel Rokem <arokem at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 5:54 AM, vanessa sochat <vsochat at stanford.edu>
> wrote:
>
>> Having all packages nicely shown on the front page is a good idea - and I
>> was thinking of having a nice visualization that would quickly show some
>> stats next to each. I put the latest blob post mostly because I ran out of
>> work time for the day. Is the old site living somewhere so I can take a
>> look?
>>
>> Thanks so much for joining in the effort! For me, an important change
> relative to the old page design is to allow the project list to change over
> time and to allow people to easily advertise their neuroimaging-in-python
> projects on this webpage. I would prefer not to have the list of projects
> be statically enshrined into the design of the front page. If you can make
> it organically change on the front page, that would be good.
>

>> Gaël - I completely agree about nilearn! I just copied the groups as is
>> from the current page, and had I thought about this, probably would have
>> questioned them.
>>
>> On Sun, Jul 26, 2015 at 10:25 PM, Gael Varoquaux <
>> gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Since it is the time to gives one opinion
>>>
>>> - I agree with Elefterios that I think it is a good thing to have a list
>>>   of the projects on the front page. I liked how the old webpage did it
>>>
>>> - The snake-brain logo is great. We should have it on the front page.
>>>
>>> - Developper-oriented information should be less emphasized compared to
>>>   user-oriented information: 'view on github', 'contribute', 'A natural
>>>   home for collaboration' should be deemphasized compared to the project
>>>   directory. The reason is that we are trying to convince people to use
>>>   the nipy ecosystem, and for this, the highest priority is to orient
>>>   end users.
>>>
>>> My 2 cents,
>>>
>>> Gaël
>>>
>>> PS: Vanessa: Nilearn is not only for fMRI. It's for statistical analysis
>>> of images. It is also used for anatomical images:
>>> http://nilearn.github.io/auto_examples/decoding/plot_oasis_vbm.html
>>> If we could get a preprocessed, openly downloadable set of images of eg
>>> FA, we would do an example with diffusion too.
>>>

>> --
>> Vanessa Villamia Sochat
>> Stanford University
>> (603) 321-0676