[Neuroimaging] Technical details managing Python versions and packages.

Nolan Nichols bnniii at uw.edu
Fri Jul 31 19:50:20 CEST 2015

​Not exactly what you asked for, but one suggestion is to standardize your
approach to installing packages. From my early experience with Python,
package management was notoriously confusing and mixing apt-get,
easy_install, and pip was a recipe for disaster.

I've switched to using the "Anaconda" distribution of Python and it has
made installing libraries a really smooth process. I use "miniconda" (
http://conda.pydata.org/miniconda.html) and the "conda" tool to install
anything available in their software registry and then I use 'pip' to
install everything else. I steer clear of apt-get and easy_install.

Conda also makes it super easy to create sandboxed environments to test out
new tools. For example, once miniconda is installed you can:

# create an environment to use nibabel
> conda create -n nibabel-env pip ipython scipy
> # activate the environment
> source activate ​nibabal
> # use pip to install a libary not available through conda
> pip install nibabel
> # turn off the nibabel environment and switch back to the main installation
> source deactivate

​If you give that a shot it will essentially ignore everything else you've
installed and give you a clean slate to work from.​

​Cheers,

Nolan​