[Neuroimaging] [Nipype] changing the license of Nipype from BSD to Apache 2

Steve Pieper pieper at isomics.com
Mon Nov 16 09:46:02 EST 2015

Hi Satra -

We considered a lot of issues related to patents, copyright, etc when
working with Partners legal department to write the Slicer license [1] but
also importantly some institutional concerns about liability where software
could be used for medical purposes.  It's worked well and has been used
basically unchanged by several other projects, such as FreeSurfer [2].

There are a lot of details to consider if you really want to get into it.
Rosen's book is a great reference [3].  We also consulted him (in person in
addition to reading his book) when putting together the Slicer IP
policies.  I'd be happy to discuss what we considered at the time.

So you could consider using a version of the Slicer license.  Apache 2
might be a better choice though since it's more well known and addresses
many but not all of the same issues.  ITK uses it for example.

HTH,
Steve

[1] http://slicer.org/pages/LicenseText

[2] https://surfer.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/registration.html