[Neuroimaging] [nibabel] reading corrupt *.nii.gz files

Dimitri Papadopoulos Orfanos dimitri.papadopoulos at cea.fr
Thu Oct 1 12:22:58 CEST 2015

Hi Matthew,

Le 30/09/2015 21:29, Matthew Brett a écrit :
> [...]
> Would the friendly error be much different from the unfriendly one
> though?  I guess it would just be something like 'Error reading
> compressed image data : Error -3 while decompressing: invalid code
> lengths set' ?
> [...]

I was thinking of intercepting this specific error -3 (Z_DATA_ERROR) and
emitting a message such as:

Error reading compressed image data: the compressed file is corrupted,
most probably truncated (zlib reports: invalid code lengths set).

The zlib documentation (http://www.zlib.net/manual.html) reads:
	inflate() returns [...] Z_DATA_ERROR if the input data
	was corrupted (input stream not conforming to the zlib
	format or incorrect check value) [...] If Z_DATA_ERROR
	is returned, the application may then call inflateSync()
	to look for a good compression block if a partial
	recovery of the data is desired.

Best,
Dimitri