[Neuroimaging] Journal articles based on PRs

Chris Filo Gorgolewski krzysztof.gorgolewski at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 16:47:57 EDT 2016

Hi Ariel,
I have been recently thinking about the problem of giving academic credit
to contributors. In Nipype we are facing exactly the same problem - people
joining the project after the paper was published do not benefit from
citations. The project is as strong as its community so we wanted to give
people credit for their hard work. After some deliberations we have decided
to go with a different approach then you are proposing. Beginning from the
next release we will switch the main recommended citation from the
Frontiers paper to a Zenodo <https://zenodo.org/> handle. In the past weeks
we have been reaching out to Nipype contributors to get their permission
and details to become coauthors of this Zenodo entry (please get in touch
if you have contributed to Nipype and did not receive an email about this).

Zenodo is a non profit organisation that provides citable DOIs for software
(free of charge). It is indexed by Google scholar and is easy to set up and
update. Thanks to this feature, with each release we will keep adding new
contributors as coauthors. This solution has the following advantages:
- Everyone contributing to nipype gets credit in the form of citations
- There is one publication which makes citing easy (compare to Freesurfer
https://surfer.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/fswiki/FreeSurferMethodsCitation, also
consider that some journals limit the number of references)
- There is no overhead of writing, submitting, and revising a manuscript on
top of developing and revising code

There is, however, one big drawback - there is only one first and one
senior author on the Zenodo handle. I think this calls for a hybrid
solution: an always up to date Zenodo entry combined with individual papers
written by developers who feel they need such publication and are willing
to put the extra effort of writing the manuscript. I would stay away from
making a "deal" or explicitly recommending one particular commercial
publisher. There are many outlets which publish software or software
extensions (for example F1000Research has "Software Tool" category that
often publishes small contributions: see
http://f1000research.com/articles/2-192/v2 for example). I would leave it
open to the developers to choose the venue where they want to publish using
their best judgement. Why is it important? Most publishers are commercial
entities and strongly recommending one over another benefits them
financially. I think that as an open community, we should stay away from
such decisions to avoid being accused of some shady internal deals. Let
developers (and potential authors of such papers) decide by themselves.

I hope this helps!

Best,
Chris